Tompkins Lodge #471 is a regular and recognized Masonic Lodge located in Staten Island N.Y., having a charter through the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of the State of New York. After receiving its dispensation in 1859 and its charter the following year, Tompkins Lodge #471 is one of the oldest Lodges in the Richmond district.
In most minds, Huguenot Lodge, #381 is older than Tompkins Lodge. That is true only under the present Charter of Tompkins Lodge. Under the original Charter, Tompkins Lodge was instituted about a year-and-a-half earlier. A Warrant was issued on December 6, 1853, authorized the opening of a Lodge at Stapleton, to be known as Tompkins Lodge, #145. Their first meeting place was in the old Tompkins Lyceum, located at the spot later occupied by the German Club Rooms. In 1856, they moved to Masonic Hall, located at what was then Front and Minthorne Streets, in Tompkinsville. A year later the building was destroyed by fire and the Lodge lost everything. It is believed that they did not meet again under the old Charter.
On March 31, 1859, a new Dispensation was granted. The first communication under the new Dispensation was on April 5, 1859, in Tompkins Lyceum. In the following June, a charter was issued to Tompkins Lodge, #471. The Lodge moved to the Week Building on the west side of Griffin Street; and in May, 1866, to Egbert Hall; and again on May 1, 1876, into new quarters in Tynan’s Building. The present Temple at Bay and Sand Streets, has been occupied since 1901.
Regular Lodge meetings are held the 1st & 3rd Wednesday of each month at 7:30pm